Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Want to join the team?


Greetings!

Did you know that of the 6,877 languages in the world, 1,967 languages still need to have Bible translation projects started? This represents billions of people.

My name is Adam Lewis. I am the oldest son of Jon and Anita Lewis. I recently joined Wycliffe Associates, an organization that involves people in the advancement of Bible translation, and I am working with their Technology Advancement team. The goal of this team is to use partnership with indigenous Bible translators and cutting-edge technology to speed up the process of translating the Bible into every language. For example, in May, I traveled to Madagascar to begin training indigenous Bible translators how to use computers as part of the Bible-translation process. In early July, I traveled to Nigeria to install cell-phone amplifiers so that national translators in remote areas could use their cell phones and e-mail to accelerate the translation process.

I joined Wycliffe Associates because I believe the Word of God is important. It is the primary way to learn about and have a relationship with God. As the Bible is being translated into thousands of languages around the world, Wycliffe Associates is in a great place to partner with the organizations that are part of the Wycliffe Global Alliance, which includes many indigenous translation organizations, to bring the Bible into the heart language of everyone. I am excited to be involved.

Going forward, I will continue training indigenous Bible translators in how to use computers as a part of the translation process. I will also deploy equipment that will aid the translation process. I will be a resource for national translators to support their efforts.

I feel God has prepared me well to work in the capacity I am in. I have finished a masters degree in Biblical and Theological Studies from Talbot Theological Seminary, so I can work with church leaders and understand some of the theological issues they are facing. My technical background from being a technology systems coordinator at BIOLA, my work at COMP USA, the problem solving and logistical work I did with Samaritan’s Purse in Sudan, and the training I am receiving at Wycliffe Associates will let me meet their technological needs. Also, the ten years I have spent living overseas has equipped me to work well in a variety of overseas situations.

My goal is to see indigenous men and women equipped so that the Word of God reaches those who do not have it. By enabling national translators, they become leaders ready and able to take the Bibles they have translated and effectively teach and mentor those people for whom the Bibles were translated. The translation process also builds up networks and relationships within the body of Christ, strengthening that Body and allowing more good work to happen.  

I know that many of you partner financially and in prayer with my parents and/or my sister and brother-in-law, Tom and Julie Bolser, in their missionary service; and I am not asking you to change that. Indeed, please continue to support them. However, if you know any person or church who might be interested to partner with me in the work of accelerating the effort to bring every verse of the Bible to every person who does not have it in their own language, I ask you to connect them with me. And if you aren’t a current supporter of my parents or Tom and Julie, perhaps you would consider becoming a partner with me in technology advancement.

The following is my contact information:

 

Adam Lewis

10306 John Wycliffe Blvd. #16

Orlando, FL 32832


Cell: 562-237-0085

 

Also, here is the link to my support page with Wycliffe Associates:

 


 

For more information on Wycliffe Associates, you can visit their Web site at http://www.wycliffeassociates.org.

 

Thank you so much for considering my request .

 

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9).

 

In God’s service,

 

Adam Lewis

 

 

No comments: