Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Glass Museum

Hello my friends,

During my recent travels I was fortunate enough to visit the glass museum in Tacoma Washington. I thought I would share some of the pictures I took there. I was impressed by the works exhibited. The techniques used and the intricacy of work were sometimes amazing. One of the best parts of the museum is being able to watch glass blowers work live. They have a studio right in the museum.

If you have not seen it yet, I posted my first blog report of the year earlier today. Check it out in the next post below.
This would really look neat with water fountains flowing around it. The glass sculpture is just outside the main entrance.

The tea kettles in the picture above and below have impossibly small spouts, so it would take a while to pour your tea. However, they look neat.


This picture above was one of the most unique items I saw in the gallery. It is one of my favorite pieces there.


An acorn around 18" long.

This was an impressive glass sculpture. It is a little over a meter tall. The blue you see shifts as you walk around the glass.

There was quite a description on a few sculptures like this one. They were something about the conquering of nature over the material world. Kind of a funny thing to look at.




Here is a multi-layered glass work.


There was a visiting collection from Ireland. I liked the glass work, but not the paintings on the sides. They look like a kid had some fun.





We watched the glass blowers for at least a half an hour. They made a glass leaf and four glass acorns while we were there.



Every year, there is a kids competition to design a glass sculpture. The kids make a drawing and the visiting glass artists try to recreate the picture in glass.


Water shoots up out of these poles. They are around eight feet tall and would be nice to play around in the summer.
 
 

No comments: